A total of 6 reviews of this product on Reddit.
Anything used near you?
What are the space constraints for? Bookshelf is a misnomer, they are designed to go on speaker stands.
- Closeout deal, DCM TP160 by MTX Audio ~~$249~~ $79 pair. Review by u/DieselWang and Video Review.
- Infinity REFERENCE 162 $175 Infinity direct factory refurbished.
- JBL Studio 230 $199 JBL direct factory refurbished.
- BOSTON ACOUSTICS A26 $195 bogo pair.
- Polk Audio Signature S20 $179.
- DCM TFE60-B by MTX Audio $229.
- Wharfedale – Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) $175.
- Wavecrest Audio HVL-1, and order on sale at Ascend $80 each + shipping, “budget/baby Ascends” from the same speaker designer. Neutral sound with a linear frequency response. To me, comparable to and better mids than the KEF Q100s. As with many bookshelf speakers, best with a subwoofer.
- BOSTON ACOUSTICS A25 $149 bogo pair.
- Polk Audio T300 $115.
- Polk Audio TSi100 $99
DIY with good low ends:
- 6.5″ pre painted and pre assembled cabinets Dayton Audio BR-1 $195.
- 5″ C-Note MT $99.
Or get towers instead of speaker stands:
- DCM TP260 2-Way by MTX Audio ~~$399~~ $129.
- DCM TP260 3-Way by MTX Audio ~~$599~~ $239 pair.
Use the receiver and get passive speakers, nothing more to buy except some speaker wire and cables. I keep my receiver on an 18″ ikea like end table either under or off to the side of my desk.
Speakers to use with the receiver:
- 5.25″ Wavecrest Audio HVL-1, and order on sale at Ascend $80 each + shipping, “budget/baby Ascends” from the same speaker designer. Best mids under $200 which many speakers in the price range lack. To me, comparable to KEF Q100.
- 6.5″ TP160-S by MTX Audio $79. Review by u/DieselWang.
- 5.25″ Wharfedale – Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) $175 or Black or 6.5″ Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 $225.
- 5.25″ Fluance Signature Series $199.
- Klipsch sale: 5.25″ RP-150M $289 or 6.5″ RP-160M $349
DIY Speaker Kit: Add around $50 for supplies and then tools if you don’t have them. Kit includes pre-cut cabinets. Glue, solder, paint, assemble. Comparable to built speakers costing two to three times as much.
- 5″ C-Notes $100 pair. Good low end for their size.
- 6.5″ Dayton Audio BR-1 $195 pair. Cabinets are already built and painted. Great low end.
If you still want to go with powered speakers, Vanatoo Zero.
Desktop Guides: Get Those Speakers Off Your Desktop and Pitch-perfect Placement: How to Set Up Your Desktop Speakers.
Home Audio Guides: Intro to home stereo systems • Zeos Tutorials, Diagrams and Videos • r/audiophile Guide to Home Audio • Speaker Placement for Stereo Music Listening
A buddy of mine has these and they are damn good. Granted it’s paired with Technics 1200 and a vintage Pioneer amp.
I personally have a very budget with Micca MB42x which would be on the bottom end of your budget. While good performers, your budget allows for better.
I just inherited a Marantz 2238b receiver and only have this set of two speakers at the moment. How can I best integrate this into my setup, and what purchases if any should I make?
Also, the receiver has bays for four speakers even though I only have these two at the moment. Is there a certain additional set I should get that would pair well with those?