A total of 1 review of this product on Reddit.
Kitchenware is expensive, but it will save you so much money in the long run cooking for yourself. $300 upfront for quality gear is worth it. Basic list of items you’ll need and probably want to pay full price for:
- Pot and pan set – something like this is perfect; at a minimum I’d want a small and large frying pan, a medium pot and a pasta pot if you’re buying separately.
- A good Chef’s knife – spend $40ish for something by Mercer or Victorinox
- A good sankuto as well, because cross contamination is a thing, and sometimes you want to cut 2 things at once, and cleaning in the middle of cooking is a PITA.
Everything else, go as cheap as you want here. Goodwill, Marshall’s, Ross, and TJ Maxx are all great here. Ikea is awesome too if you have one near and want new:
- Measuring cups/bowls/spoons
- Cooking spoons (solid and slotted, pasta scoop, ladel)
- Cutting boards – buy at least 4.
- Can opener
Basic tool kit – screwdrivers (Philips and flat), hammer, adjustable crescent wrench, tape measure, and a level. A drill is really nice to have as well – it might be expensive, but this set is almost always on sale at Home Depot and is worth its weight in gold, just need a nice set of bits and drivers ($20-30) to go with it.
Cleaning supplies can come from the dollar store – It’s all the same stuff.
Don’t cheap out on paper towels and TP if you can afford it; the good stuff is expensive for a reason.
When you’re getting a bed, the foam amazon mattresses are really good at a fraction of the cost of a store-bought one – Highly recommend Zinus and Lucid. Pro-tip: shell out for the heavy duty platform though, or see if you can source a secondhand box spring. Marketplace is your friend for other cheap furniture – be sure to ask about pets/smoking before getting anything secondhand that’s finished in cloth.
Entertainment – Just buy internet. See if you can piggyback your friends or parents cable login information, most channels have a smart TV app that you can watch live for shows and sports.
TCL Roku TVs are gods gift to people who want a basic cheap and functional smart TV.